Thursday, September 13, 2012

Working food

Now that Lani and I have several weeks of working full time under our belts, we’re slowly getting the balance down… slowly. Admittedly we’ve eaten out more than I would like, but it’s been wicked hot here in Orange County. It’s September for crying out loud and it’s over 90 degrees! What?! So… coming home at 5:15pm to fire up the range for dinner is not my idea of a good time when its easily 80 degrees inside my house.

DSC00340
Enter the deal on Living Social for Farm Fresh To You I snagged a couple months ago. Getting food delivered to my door step sounded pretty fab! Save me a trip to the super market?! Yes, please! Bonus points for everything being all organic. I’m not a super-organic-all-the-way girl. I buy a few things here and there. Hubby and I were pleasantly surprised by how much better everything tasted. The cucumbers – AMAZING! Tomatoes – to die for! Donut peaches – we’ve never heard of or had before, but they were gone in a day! I managed to sneak a bite of the very last one before Will wolfed it down (they’re the white ones with a little red/pink).

We got a “Regular Mixed” box. It’s a great assortment of fruits and veggies for $31.50. After a box every other week for a month, it forced us to try some new things I’d never seen or heard of. It’s always good to step outside the box… ha! The nice thing is that you can tell them fruits or veggies that you don’t like, so they’ll replace that item with something you do like. No beets allowed in our box, please! And I love that our delivery arrives before I head to work Thursday morning, which means I can take it all out, wash what needs to be washed before putting it away. I can even munch on a donut peach on my way to work that morning.

I guess heirloom tomato picking was good for a few weeks because we ended up with quite a few. Other than a few slices on our sandwiches or salads, I wasn’t really sure what else to do with them. They’re so tasty and it would be a shame for them to go bad before we could eat them. Hubby suggested some kind of Tomato Pie or casserole. Lo and behold Paula Deen has a recipe for Tomato Pie! Hubby gets full credit for making the Tomato Pie and even did the alterations I wanted to make as well as his own! I pinned this Chobani substitution chart and love checking to see what I can sub-out of a recipe and replace with some Greek yogurt. I printed it and keep it on the fridge. I’m not a huge fan of Greek yogurt plain, out of the cup. I’m trying to like it, but it’s just not happening… Any tips? Anyways, here’s Paula Deen’s Tomato Pie recipe all jacked up!

Tomato PieDSC00729

Ingredients

  • 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1 cup grated cheddar
  • 1 cup Chobani (or Greek yogurt)
  • 1/2 cup French Fried Onions, smashed
  • Salt and pepper

 

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes or so.
Combine the grated cheeses and Chobani together.
Put a layer of tomatoes with some onion and basil, then add a layer of the cheese mixture, then a layer of tomatoes, ending with a layer of the cheese mixture on top. Finish it off with a sprinkling of French Fried Onions.
Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.

DSC00731

It was delicious and surprisingly filling! Using Chobani instead of mayonnaise didn’t alter the flavor at all. It even felt a little meaty and it was definitely filling! And it was really good for lunch the next day! It’s a great end of summer dish, too!

signature

**We did not receive anything from any of these items mentioned in this post. We just like to talk about products and fun stuff that make us happier, healthier, & our lives a little easier!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios