Thursday, March 4, 2010

POW! Right in the kisser!


Yesterday was a total and utter mommy fail. :(

It was about 5:45pm. I had dinner going, laundry going, and trying to pick up some of the toys that were scattered across the floor that were a result of Hurricane Will in our living room. Hubby called and he got to leave work a tad early. I had asked him to pick up a couple things from the grocery store. While I was on the phone with him, Will was playing in the living room with one of his buckets of toys. While talking to Hubby on the phone, I figured it would be ok to go put the clothes from the washer into the dryer. Thinking, that will only take 2 seconds...Will won't really move because he seems to be enthralled in whatever toy he has in his hand at the moment and Mickey is on.

Let me preface this by saying he's 11 months old and walking now. He started about 1.5 weeks ago and each day his walking turns more and more into a run. He was and still is a fast crawler. I'm not just saying that because he's my kid and I think he's "so advanced" compared to other kids... he really is a fast crawler. So walking at any other speed other than fast or faster is not a an option for him...

Our washer and dryer is on our balcony in a closet. So I opened the screen door and closed it, but not all the way. The drapes covered the portion that was open. Well, in the 20 seconds it took me to put the clothes from the washer into the dryer, Will managed get up and walk 15'+ to scooch the screen door open even more. I turned around just in time to see him put his hand where he thought the screen door would be, but it wasn't. So he was trying to prop himself up on...AIR...and down he went, face first, onto the balcony floor in what seemed like slow motion. I'm still on the phone with Hubby and all he hears is screaming and me yelling "FORGET THE STORE! GET HOME NOW!". I'm sure Hubby went from going a cool 70-75mph to some ungodly speed to race home.

I grab Will and all I can see is blood. I couldn't tell what was bleeding, so I get him in the bathroom and start to rinse. Ok, it's not his hand... Oh God. It's his face. As I'm rinsing and dabbing, his lip is swelling. With him in my arms, screaming, I go and get his frozen teething ring from the freezer hoping that if I can get the bleeding to stop with some coldness, I can see what's going on. I lay him down and try to pin him down in his fit of screams to get him to let me put this thing on his lip. In the midst of all this I'm trying to use my new phone to dial he pediatrician.

MAJOR fail on the stupid touch screen cell phone... It can do all these amazing things, but I couldn't make a simple phone call with it to save my life. I almost threw it. Not to mention, his Dr.'s number didn't transfer from my old phone and I didn't realize that until right this second... So I had to grab the business card from my wallet and try to dial. They were already closed. I was trying to memorize the after hours number in my head so I could hang up and dial that, and I got the number wrong. Ugh, forget the phone, let's see if we can settle him down and see what's going on first.

Thankfully, I got him calmed down and the blood to stop before Hubby got home. By now, his lip was huge. But at least the blood had stopped or I think Hubby would've passed out or thrown up, or both. I manage to see that it's just his lip that's cut a little - maybe 1/4" tops - but nothing is wrong with the inside of his mouth or his teeth. I call and talk to the nurse at the after hours and she just says to try and ice it. So Hubby went to the store to grab the stuff that we needed originally, plus some popsicles. Yep, Will had popsicles for dinner. I think once the initial shock wore off, he was trying to figure out what was wrong with his puffer lip. He kept licking it and sucking on it. It looked pretty funny and was at least some comic relief. He was even smiling and laughing, which was both funny and sad/pathetic with his busted lip. We should've called him Rocky the rest of the night. Yo, Adrienne...

After dinner, we sat on the couch, watched some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and I held Will as he had a nice icy cold bottle before bed. A small wave of tears came over me as I held my baby boy. Ugh, I felt so bad. I managed to hold it together during all of the chaos because there's a problem, we need to fix it! Focus on the task at hand! He had already been feeling yucky that day with a cough and a runny nose, so he conked out a little early anyways. We put him to bed with a dose of Kids Motrin.

Hubby and I went to go clean up the mess from the craziness. We were in the kitchen when he says "Talk to me. You ok?"
Me: No. I don't want to talk about it.
Hubby: It's ok. He's ok. It was an accident. He's going to hurt himself a lot.

And then I lost it. I was a mess. (The waterworks are starting again just thinking about it! Ugh...) Hubby held me as I just cried, on the verge of sobs. Will's my baby! I should be protecting him and the second I turn my back, it happens. My heart was broken for my little guy. I know it wasn't my fault, but I do have a habit of not closing the screen all the way while I'm doing a quick laundry change, but it's usually when Hubby's home to keep an eye on Will too.
I beat myself all night before we went to bed. I had a knot in my stomach and felt like I was going to throw up all night, on top of having a massive headache from crying. We went to bed and Will only woke up once around 3am. Hubby went and tended to him. It was a good night's sleep for all of us.

This morning, Will woke up with a lip that is red and bruised, but much less swollen. I woke up feeling better that my baby was in a good mood. We all had breakfast together and started the day off well. I'm taking Will in to see his Dr. later this morning just to have him take a look at his lip, and check out his cough and runny nose too. I know the Dr. won't be able to do much but say he'll be fine. It's 30 minutes and a $20 copay out of my life. That's a small price to pay for my piece of mind.

And then maybe we'll go get some ice cream...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios