Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Things Change...duh!



I came across this article in one of the million newsletters I subscribe to via email... 42 Things That Change When You Have a Baby. It's funny because I've had several conversations about this exact subject recently. Some don't have kids and aren't even preggo, while others are preggo and/or have kids. It's kind of along the same lines of Lani's Downtime post, but I think that might be the biggest and hardest adjustment Hubby and I had to deal with.

Over the last 8 months, the biggest struggle and cause for many heated discussions between Hubby and I have had to do with our lack of downtime. We have a baby now. That luxury is saved for planned date nights out and after bedtime. It's a hard one to get used to because we've been able to get up and do whatever we've wanted for so long. Hubby and I went on fun vacations, went out to dinner a lot, or just went out for some drinks whenever we wanted. Hubby could play XBOX 360 as soon as he walked through the door. I could pull out my scrapbooking stuff and leave it on the floor if I wanted to. None of that can happen quite like that now...

This is one of my favorites on the list:
12. Bodily functions are no longer repulsive. In fact, they please you. (Hooray for poop!)
I never would've thought that one of the questions my Hubby would ask me when he got home was if WEB pooped that day and if so, how many times? What did it look like? Oh, probably because he ate ___ yesterday.

This is an interesting one:
4. You respect your body ... finally.

That, in essence, is the long and short of it. I watched my body become some freakish science experiment for 9 months. Starting with my nipples getting darker and ending with stretch marks and sausage toes... Some of it goes back to normal, and some does not. I wish someone had told me about some of these things before they happened. The super perky boobs were a definite plus! Yet, I still have trouble brushing my teeth and my tongue without gagging or throwing up a little bit. The body that I have pictured in my head is slowly becoming the body I see in the mirror...but it's not quite so bad so see anymore. The stretch marks are fading and the chub is slowly disappearing. I grew a baby for crying out loud! How cool is that? And he's smart, handsome, and lightning quick! Some extra chub here and there is worth it when I see that goofy grin smiling back at me.

One of the readers said:
1. "You discover how much there is to say about one tooth." — Ashley's mom
It's not just a tooth! It could be poop or a cry or a new sound or a million other things. Lani and I have had the weirdest conversations about some of the weirdest things that went on way longer than they probably should have, but somehow we are both intrigued by the size, shape, color, texture, thickness of a turd in a diaper...

This is a good one too:
14. "You learn that taking a shower is a luxury." — Jayden's mom

Ah yes....days without showers. I'm sure those were Hubby's favorite days to come home to, too! Those first couple of months can be trying mentally, physically, and hygienically. I'd have to say that being a new mom definitely teaches you how to quickly look halfway decent when you haven't showered and had 5 seconds to fix your face and hair. But, you are just going to Target so it's not like you have to look like a beauty queen...
Do you have any changes to add to the list? I'm sure the list is miles and miles long! We've only hit the tip of the iceberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios