Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Recipe: Summit House Creamed Corn

Once upon a time, Hubby and I got married. Ha Ha! I'm a good fairy tale story teller, huh? Well, we got married at The Summit House. After a day of checking out some potential wedding venues, we came across The Summit House and I fell in love. As soon as we got out of the car I teared up and said "We're getting married here!". Hubby fell in love when we did our taste testing for the food that would be served at our wonderful occasion. The Summit House is known for their awesome prime rib. They also make some to die for side dishes like creamed corn and creamed spinach. I was shocked to find out that they even made doggie bags for some of our guests to take home their leftovers! How cool is that?!

Anyways, let's get back on track... Thank goodness they give their creamed corn recipe away because I now make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had to make a double batch because we would run out of it so fast. Even with double the recipe we still only have a spoonful or two leftover... scrumptulescent! (<--Lani, did I spell that right?)

For your family gathering pleasure, here is the recipe of The Summit House Creamed Corn that will rock your world!

- 12 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb. frozen kernel corn
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of white pepper (to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese

1. Combine corn, heavy whipping cream, salt, sugar, and white pepper in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. In a separate large pot, make a roux from the butter and flour.
4. Pour the corn mixture into the pot with the roux and mix well. It will thicken up a lot at this stage.
5. Remove pot from heat.
6. Transfer corn mixture into casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and brown under the broiler.

A couple of notes:
*It works a lot better to make the roux and dump the corn into that pot. I've tried the other way and it doesn't thicken up as well otherwise.
*Be sure not to mix up the salt and sugar measurements. I've made that mistake once when I tested the recipe on Hubby. I have yet to live it down...and have yet to make that mistake twice!
*I cover the top of the corn in the casserole dish with parmesan cheese. I have a cheesy family, so I make mine cheesy. Feel free to add cheese to your heart's desire!

Side Note:
I came across this blog entry about The Summit House. The pictures make my mouth water! So good! I think I know where I want Hubby to take me for Valentine's Day!

Have a Happy and Safe Turkey Day everyone! Let me know if you try this recipe and how it went over at your family gathering. I'll be sure to take a before and after picture of ours tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios