Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Recipe: Lani's Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with Heather's Twist


Ok. Here is an awesome recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup. I made this last week while WEB was napping (speak of the devil...of course he wakes up now while I'm in the middle of my blogfest!). It's awesome that he goes down at around 9:30am. Perfect amount of time to clean up the morning's mess, shower, put my face on, and check email.

**The italics are the Heather Twist**

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serves 4-5

Chicken - I like to use 4 breasts
1 Garlic clove, minced
2  Tbsp margerine
2  14.5 oz cans of Chicken Broth
2  14.5 oz cans of Chopped Stewed Tomatoes (Half the time I can't find the chopped AND stewed tomatoes so I buy the stewed and just use the fancy scissors to chop them up in the can. Easy peasy.)
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 bag of frozen corn
1 cup chopped veggies - I use carrots and celery and whatever else looks good in my fridge.

pinch of crushed red pepper
8 oz Monterey Jack Cheese, cubed
Sour Cream
Tortilla chips

1. Cook and shred chicken (sometimes I just cube it)
2. Add garlic and margerine in slow cooker and saute
3. Combine all ingredients except the last three into slow cooker
4. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours
5. Divide cheese into bowls. Ladle soup over the cheese. Sprinkle soup with chips & top with sour cream. I like cheese so I put a little at the bottom and a little at the top.

For an added zing, add a few dollups of El Torito Cilantro Pepita Caesar Dressing to the top of the finished product. Hubby suggested this and it was super tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios