Friday, June 8, 2012

Night Lights

DSC09248We have had a night light issue for a long time. You can read about our sleep issues here, here, and here (to name a few), but in a nutshell, Will has never been the best sleeper. After literally years of struggling with naps and bedtime routines and schedules, it’s finally gotten better. I’m just talking about the over all process of bedtime, since he gave up his nap time before his 2nd birthday. Now, he goes to bed somewhere between 8-9pm and is up by 6:30am. He definitely doesn’t get his need for less sleep from me. It drives me crazy & boggles my mind all at the same time that this kid who is FULL of energy 24/7 runs on less sleep than me. But that’s just life. Lesson learned that my kid will not take some of my best qualities…like sleeping A LOT! LOVE to sleep!

Bed time has finally become less of a struggle. Of course there are times that it’s still wretched, but I’d say 90% of the time, he goes to bed, we read a book, or three if he’s been really good and asks nicely, and he’s asleep within 15 minutes of us leaving the room. But he does not like being left in a pitch black room. We have one of these night lights in his room, but it’s not bright enough. We had 4 strands of “superhero” lights on his ceiling, aka Christmas lights in red (Iron Man), green (Hulk), blue (Captain America), and purple (Hawkeye), but all but 1/2 of the purple strand burnt out. I was tired of it looking rather ghetto with burnt out Christmas lights on my son’s ceiling. I took them all down and we tried life with just the little night light. No dice. I had to leave his bedroom door open, turn on the bathroom light, and then shut it off once he fell asleep. Not the worst option, but not my favorite either.

Hubby has become the brains of the lights-on-Will’s-ceiling projects. My favorite part is that he buys it and hangs it. I don’t have to do it. Yay! Hubby had the idea of hanging these little lanterns and I said sure. Do whatever you think will work.

So he bought the Paper Lantern string lights from Target and hung them:
Will's Room
Pretty cute, right?

It’s nice having something that we can plug in and leave on all night. Will stays in his bed most of the night. Sometime between 3am and 6am, he comes in & snuggles in bed with me. Honestly, most of the time I don’t even know he’s there until I wake up in the morning. I like that these lights will be on and help light his way so he doesn’t run into anything on his groggy walk to my side of the bed, even though it’s an obstacle-free straight shot.

DSC09261

Shhhhhh… baby sleeping.

For $9.99, it keeps with our colorful color scheme, serves a purpose, and is definitely a think-outside-the-box solution.

What do you use for a night light? Do your kids sleep 15 hours a day? Do your kids say funny things in your sleep?

1 comment:

  1. We use a Scentsy cupcake warmer for a nightlight in my girls' room. They go to bed without a fight around 8-9 pm., and stay there (quietly) until 6-7 am. Believe me, I know just how lucky I am!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios