Friday, February 24, 2012

Recipe: Fried Buffalo Chicken Dip

We’re going to complete your week with some good ol’ fashioned fried goodness! The Frank’s Red Hot Sauce Buffalo Chicken Dip is a favorite in our house. Super Bowl party, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Tuesday… are all occasions to make & devour this tasty dip. Here’s a quick run down of the recipe on the back of the Frank’s bottle.

Buffalo Chicken Dip:
Servings – 4 cups
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Cook Time – 20 minutes

Ingredients:
8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup blue cheese or ranch salad dressing
1/2 cup Frank’s Redhot Sauce
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cans (12.5 oz each) shredded chicken breast in water, drained

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix ingredients together. I use a hand mixer so its nice and smooth.
Bake for 20 minutes.

The End.

We like to use Kettle Chips for dippin’ because they’re thick & salty, but I’ll use tortilla, regular potato, or my big toe… it’s just too good to be picky. But we made this dip better. How you say?

FRY IT!

I picked up some wonton wrappers at the grocery store so we could experiment in my new enameled cast iron dutch oven. I got it for Christmas, but ended up returning it because I found a smokin’ deal on a Lodge Logic one. $29.99! I saw one at Target a couple weeks prior for $69. Ouch. I was so excited, I went and picked up a blue one for my dad’s birthday.

So I gathered all of our ingredients:
DSC02691
We made the Buffalo Chicken Dip, but didn’t bake it.
Then we fired up the oil with my handy dandy Martha thermometer. The oil needs to be 350 degrees. It will take some practice getting the temperature to stay at the temperature we want it. Any tips for oil temperature regulating in a dutch oven on an electric cooktop?

DSC02695
We put a dollop of dip in the middle of the wonton wrapper and brushed egg wash on two sides so we could seal it up. We found that once you sealed the edges well, it was best to carefully fold it in half to prevent an air bubble forming inside while frying. The air bubble made a couple wontons leak or break, so they just turned out to be crispy empty shells.
Wontons-1
Be very careful frying. Hot oil is d-a-n-g-e-r-o-u-s-! Hubby was in charge of scooting the wonton around in the oil and flipping it. This was all his fry-tastic idea. I’ll give credit where it’s due. Winking smile

Wontons

They were so ooey gooey delicious! We added some Tabasco to the dip mix for a little extra heat. Yummmmmmm!

And then we had another stroke… of genius. Bean and cheese wontons?! YES! I made my refried beans earlier in the week, so we tossed those in some wrappers, sprinkled some cheddar jack cheese, sealed them up, and fried them. Badabingbadaboom!
Wontons-2

Will enjoyed eating the crunchy edges. He said the buffalo ones were “Oh! Too Spicy!”.

DSC02730

Any fantastic culinary adventures being had in your household? We’re always drumming up crazy ideas or combos to try. Back in the day, Lani & I came up with a billion varieties of bacon wrapped shrimp. That is a cult classic.

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios