Tuesday, June 21, 2011

27 going on 65

Yep. Today's my birthday. Yay!

27 is a weird age. I'll pause while you gasp and say "She's only 27?!".

Yes, yes I know... I swear I'm an old lady in a young-ish body. I'm far from the days of being fresh-faced and barely in my 20's. I've been out of high school & college long enough to forget the names and faces of people I saw everyday for many years. And then I can see the big 3-0 in the not-so-distant future and that is something I am not too excited about... but I'll conquer it when I get there. It's 3 years off.. That's enough time for me to wrap my head around that number. Although, not like it matters since I have to stop & seriously think about how old I am now. Wait... I'm.... (counting on fingers.... toes...), oh yeah. 27.

So last night, getting ready to go to bed and Hubby asks if I want my present. How can I say no!? But it cracks me up how both him & Sonny cannot wait until the day of whatever gift giving occasion to give us ladies our gifts. Here's the loot I made out with:


That's right folks. I'm going canning! I love scrap-booking, sewing, painting, cooking, and now I'm sure I'm about to add canning to that list. I also got a membership to AARP & two tennis balls. I'm not quite ready to put the tennis balls on my walker, but I can preserve (pun intended. Har dee har har!) them for a few years...


Hubby got me a case of the normal pint-sized jars, but then picked up these little guys because they are cuter. I love that man. He knows me so well. Of course I'd pick up both the practical and cute things!

The pièce de résistance - Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff. We went to bed around 11pm, and didn't go to sleep until around 1am because I was flipping through this gorgeous book thinking of all the awesome stuff I can make & the recipes I can tweak. I am seriously the oldest 27 year old I know... ha! Getting excited and reading into the wee hours of the morning about canning preserves and making jam. Hey, it's what floats my boat, and it's my birthday. I will can if I want to.

Have you preserved anything? Got any tricks for the beginning canner? Maybe I'll do the Can-Can while I can.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I felt like such a nerd when I started canning last year but it wasn't that hard and ended up being a lot of fun! I started easy, with salsa, pineapple and pear syrup and some freezer jams. I am hoping the cucumbers in my garden do well this year because I want to add pickling to the list! Happy canning!

    And my pantry door is hollow too! Dan had to get a certain type of screw to make sure it would hold. And I'm only putting lighter things on the rack - but so far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!
    that is such a thoughtful gift!!
    I have been dying to try canning. I cant wait to see your post about it, maybe I can learn something.
    Tana

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios