Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quick & Easy Recipe: Thai Chicken Soup

Two of my favorite gifts I got for Christmas are my subscriptions to the Rachael Ray Magazine, and the Food Network Magazine. It's the gift that keeps on giving to me, and my whole family! I get excited about a new recipe to try, and they get to eat something new and tasty!

At the top of my fave list are recipes that are quick, easy, and take minimal dishes to prepare. This is just one of those dishes! It's definitely perfect for the dark and stormy weather we've been having over here in SoCal.

_______________________________________________

Thai Chicken Soup from The Food Network Magazine
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons green curry paste
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce, plus more to taste
  • 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces thin rice noodles, broken into pieces
  • 2 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), very thinly sliced crosswise
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
  • 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and curry paste and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and fish sauce; cover and bring to a boil.
Add the bell peppers and noodles and simmer, uncovered, until the noodles are al dente, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 more minutes. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Add more fish sauce and lime juice, if desired.

Per serving: Calories 561; Fat 30 g (Saturated 22 g); Cholesterol 103 mg; Sodium 821 mg; Carbohydrate 36 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 38 g

_______________________________________________



I adapted this recipe to what I had on hand. No rice noodles? Use thin spaghetti. No cilantro? Oh well. No fresh bell peppers? Use frozen! I also used about 4 cups of turkey stock I had leftover from my turkey stock stockpile, and added 2 cups of water.

This recipe was a great way to add a little curry flavor to a meal without making my house smell like it long after dinner was over. My 2 year old gobbled it up as much as Hubby and I did. And there was only 1 pot to clean when dinner was over! Woohoo!

3 comments:

  1. I love Thai food, I can't wait to try this!. Thanks for sharing.
    ~you new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo glad you linked this up to Foodie Friday a few weeks back!! I just got around to making it (I couldn't find green curry paste!!) and it is to die for. I thought I hated curry but something kept telling me to try it again. I am super glad I did!!! :) Please stay tuned to Foodie Friday next week as I will be featuring YOU!! My mind is already made up!! I'll email you a reminder...

    Also - If you get a sec, pop on over to Little Brick Ranch to enter the GIVEAWAY!!! I’ll give you a hint...Homes, Food, and all things Frugal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lyuba - I am a sucker for Thai food, too. This definitely helps curb the craving to head to my favorite hole-in-the-wall Thai joint. :)

    @Little Brick Ranch - Woohoo! Thank you! I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for my feature next week. This is definitely a great curry recipe that doesn't leave your house smelling like your dinner, and isn't overpowered by the curry flavor. I had a hard time finding curry paste too! Finally found it at Target, of all places!?

    Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

    -Heather

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios