Thursday, August 26, 2010

Working Mom?

For one day, I am sitting in a professional office, at a desk with a desktop computer, answering the phone, taking messages, and drafting letters. I traded in my shorts and tank for slacks, a blouse, and heels. It's been a year and a half since I have worked in an office. I worked right up until I had Will. I left the office on Friday, March 27th at around 4pm, and gave birth on Sunday, and haven't worked since. It's crazy that it's been 17 months since I've gotten dressed for an office environment! My, oh my, how time flies.

So, first off, hats off to the working moms out there! I was up at 6am so I could get myself ready, then make breakfast for my little guy and get him and his stuff together. We were out the door by 7:45am! I was shocked! Thank goodness he cooperated today by waking up at 6:30am and Hubby got up with him while I got myself ready. Will has been getting up at 5am or 5:30am and that is not fun at all... I was going a mile a minute since the moment I got out of bed just to get everything done and out the door on time!

We made it to Great Grandma's house with plenty of time to spare. I set up the pack n play, got the diaper bag situated with snacks, diapers, wipes, Rupert (Will's woobie), binky, extra change of clothes, and a box of toys to hopefully keep him busy. I even grabbed the Toy Story DVD that seems to be permanently in our player, as an If All Else Fails option for Grandma if Will decides to be a pill. I hope I remembered everything...

As I was leaving, I said "Ok. I have to go now. Can I have a kiss?". My handsome little boy walked over to me, lips a smackin', and gave me a big hug and a kiss. He even walked over and gave Grandma a kiss, too. Aw... Grandma picked him up as I walked out the door and he seemed to be ok. I didn't hear any screams when I closed the door and walked away.

The office is quiet. Way quieter than my usual workplace - my house, with the TV going, dishwasher running, laundry, vacuum, plus just the general squeals and screeches coming from Will as we run and play.  Office quiet is rather soothing. Definitely different from my normal routine and lack of calm.

I worked away and got a bunch of stuff done. I answered phones like a pro, and office life came flooding back to me, like I was hopping back on a two wheeler. The nice part is having a boss that continuously says "Thank you" and recognizes how hard you are working. My boss is now saying "Deet Doo" as Thank You, but I don't think he quite understands what a tough job being his mom is.

The work day flew by. Before I knew it, I was heading down 1 exit on the freeway to pick up my little guy. I had missed him. A Lot. I couldn't wait to hear about all of the fun stuff I had missed out on, and then I was sad. I missed out on stuff. What if he said "Cheeseburger" today, or did a somersault? I walked in to a big smile and a hug that melted my heart. He had a blast with Great Grandma, "helping" her water her plants and staying cool at the same time.

As much as I enjoy how organized and predictable office life is, it's not much of a challenge. You go to work, and for the most part, you know what to expect each day. There are no surprises. You know you'll probably deal with a pissed off person or two, that you'll have to fix a problem or two, or five. In my job now, everyday is unpredictable and full of at least 1 new challenge, but usually two or five. I am tested everyday by my son whether it be in the form of a tantrum, or a new skill that I need to help him master. And amongst all of the mommy duties, I am constantly cooking, cleaning, picking up, and running errands to maintain my household.

Yes, being a stay at home mom means that I can't buy that new Coach bag, or jeans that cost more than $50, but I it's a small price to pay to see every stage and every progression of my little guy. It's rough and my patience are worn thin by the end of everyday, but right now, I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Thanks for the glimpse into the life of a working mom. I don't envy you and definitely admire you all. But as long as we can make do with living on a tight budget, I'm going to continue my chaotic life as a stay at home mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios