Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Recipe: Blueberry Pie Pockets



A couple days into Will & I's trip to Jersey, the stars aligned and all 3 boys took a nap at the same time during the day. Lani and I didn't know what to do... so we cooked and baked! I had seen a preview for Rachael Ray's Show that week for these pie pockets on a stick and thought that would be really tasty. I can told Sonny I'd make him some blueberry pie anyways... ;) And thankfully Lani had a bunch of leftover blueberries from Hunter's 2nd birthday party. This is a great way to put those to good use!

Let me preface this by saying these are a bit labor intensive, but oh so worth it. I love things that are individual serving size. Any anything with blueberries is a-okay in my book! Hubby was super jealous I made these and he didn't get to try any, so I might have to make them again soon.

I have used this Betty Crocker Blueberry Pie Filling recipe many times now. It is so easy and turns out SO TASTY! I have yet to make my own crust, but that's next on my list of learning. For now, I use the refrigerated pie crusts that are soft.

Here you go:

Recipe for Pie filling - Thanks to Betty Crocker

3/4cup sugar
1/2cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon, if desired
6cups blueberries
1tablespoon lemon juice
1tablespoon butter or margarine, if desired

In large bowl, mix sugar, 1/2 cup flour and the cinnamon. Stir in blueberries. Spoon into pastry triangle. Sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over blueberry mixture. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over blueberries. Cover with top pastry that has slits cut in it; seal and flute.

Rachael Ray's Recipe is for Pie Sticks. I didn't use sticks. I think it turned out better that way because it's not like you could really hold them like a pie popsicle.

- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- On a floured surface, roll both pie doughs out to about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 6 wedges.
Place 3 tablespoons of filling on each triangle. Place a popsicle stick at the wide end of the wedge. Brush edges with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a splash of water) and fold over, creating a filled pie wedge. Crimp the sides with a fork and brush the tops with egg wash. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.

I don't think I got to shove 3 tablespoons into each triangle, but I don't know how big Rachael made hers. I managed to make a total of about 8 pockets. I would cut the triangles, put the filling in, and seal it up. I balled up the scrap pieces of pie crust dough & rolled it out again. Ultimately, I didn't have very much crust dough leftover. I think it's best to cut at least 1 slit in the top of the pocket to let out the steam because I had some leakage on the ones I didn't vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios