Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Curse of a Calm Child

I have to say....I am SO lucky to have two children who are really....well...calm. Even the newbie is really chill. It's a blessing, for sure, but also a bit of a curse.  He rarely cries, and lately has been sleeping a couple 2 hour naps during the day, and he sleeps an average of 6 hours a night.  WONDERFUL!  You can put him down awake and he'll drift off by himself no problem.  He's so darn chill, that he gives you about a 20 minute warning of fidgets and coos before he actually starts crying to be fed.  Anyway.....thinking that my new child is super awesome, I kinda took for granted the things that babies naturally go through, and during my night time duty, totally forgot how to soothe a newborn.  Jagger was having some sort of troubles and didn't want to be set down in his bed and he just kept crying every time I set him down.  My mind went blank.  I kept trying to feed him and changed his diaper 3 times, burped him and did bicycle to make him fart, and for 4 hours couldn't figure out what to do.  It didn't occur to me that sometimes babies just want to be soothed and held and cuddled!  WHHHAATTTT? MY CHILD???? He's asking for something?  He never does that?  Duh, Lani.

Calmness, chill-ability, and independence are great....but they do make you forget the basics of being a mom which is to be there to cuddle and support the baby.  I love to do that anyway, but I have to keep reminding myself that he's still going to have the basic baby issues and I have to remember how to go about handling it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios