Thursday, November 12, 2009

Recipe : Spiced Corned Beef Brisket with Horseradish Sour Cream

Betty Crocker Cookbook (Bridal Edition) (Betty Crocker Books)Thank you Betty Crocker! I got this Betty Crocker Cookbook - Bridal Edition for a wedding gift from Lani. I'm ashamed to admit that I have maybe opened it twice to get new cookie recipe or two for the holidays and that's it. Yesterday, in my quest to plan our dinners for the week before I hit the grocery store, I pulled it out. 22 slow cooker recipes called my name!

This is my first attempt at making anything in my crock pot, alone. I have helped Hubby add stuff and chop stuff to put in there because before WEB, he was the cook in the house. I know how to cook and don't do too bad of a job. I just let him do it because he was better....and maybe I'm lazy, so what?!

Let me tell you what a relief it was to chop a few things, plop them in the crock pot while WEB was taking his morning nap, only to come home to a dinner that's already made. It was a relief today in particular because WEB decided to have a tired/hungry/teething meltdown when we walked in the door. Making dinner the old fashioned way would not have happened today...

Here you go!

Slow Cooker Spiced Corned Beef Brisket with Horseradish Sour Cream
Prep Time:
5 min
Total Time: 8 hours 5 min
Makes: 8 servings

1 large sweet onion (Bermuda, Maui or Spanish), sliced
1 well-trimmed corned beef brisket (3 to 3 1/2 lb)
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon cream-style prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place onion. Thoroughly rinse beef; discard seasoning packet. Place beef on onion; sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Mix broth and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef.

2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.

3. In small bowl, mix sour cream, horseradish and parsley; serve with beef and onion.

Here are my changes to the recipe...
- Beef Broth instead of Chicken Broth. I used the entire 14 oz. can.
- Add horseradish into the sour cream to taste. I like to taste my horseradish, so 1 tablespoon was where I could barely taste it. I think I probably ended up with at least 2 tablespoons.
- Since I was cooking for just Hubby and I, my beef brisket was about 1.5 lbs.
- I served with Country Crock Garlic Mashed Potatoes that I doctored up with some fresh ground pepper and garlic salt. I also picked up a sourdough loaf that I sliced up and stuck in the oven for a few minutes to heat up. The bread was nice to sop up the juice from the meat. mmmmm...

It was a hit and SUPER easy! Hubby went back for seconds and there are still leftovers in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts, good bad or random! We love comments of all kinds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios